Monday, July 22, 2013

Day 24: Portland

This is my first trip to Oregon. There are so many preconceptions that I had about Oregon. I wondered why all gas stations are full service, and I knew it would be annoying. I knew that Bacon is considered a staple food and that I would see it everywhere. I knew I would constantly have the theme song for Portlandia stuck in my head...  "The dream of the 90's is alive in Portland..." And I knew that I would love Oregon pretty much immediately. Of course, all of the preconceptions turned out to be true.


We headed to lunch at Hair of the Dog Brewery. What a funny brewery and tasting room, compared to all the others we visited. It was in an old garage, and the food was ok, but there were people lining up to get in there by the time we were done. The beers were much sweeter than most, and they had these "vintage" 12oz bottles that they offered for really high prices. They even had a 1994 bottle of beer you could buy for $55. What? This does not make sense to me. How do you have any idea that the bottle will be good after 20 years? And only 12oz for that price? Crazy. I thought that old beer was supposed to go on sale, not get more expensive. But of course, it was still really fun and yummy.




Then Jeff and Sally led us across the bridge and moved on to the Saturday Market. Crafts and food and musicians for blocks and blocks.






Pearl Bakery - delicious ginger cookies and hibiscus iced tea.



Sand in the City. Pioneer Square was filled with giant sand castles.


Last stop was Amnesia Brewery on Mississippi.



No comments:

Post a Comment